Uninvited headache suddenly comes to the left side of the head sometimes, while occasionally it comes to the right side. The pain is like a pulse. It appears unexpectedly and lasts for a long time, which screws its victims over. In this case, taking medicines for headaches is the top priority. So, which medicines should we use to ease our migraines or headaches effectively?
The most popular available medicines for headaches
Neurologists’ advice is when chronic headaches occur, you need to take multiple types of medicines. Medications for headaches are classified into 2 main types:
– Preventive medicines: they are prescribed by doctors and used exactly according to the prescription to avoid the appearance of chronic headaches.
– Pain relievers: they can be used without a prescription. They are usually the painkillers used to ease the pain right at the beginning.
Depending on the type of headache, it is necessary to take different medicines in particular dosages:
Medicines to ease headache caused by stress:
Headache caused by long-term stress is the pain caused by facial, neck, and head muscle spasms, which leads to the pain in forehead, temples, and migraines. The main cause is long-term stress, anxiety, depression, insomnia, insufficient sleep, tensing these areas, and thence, raising the sensation of pain. There are some medicines for easing headache caused by stress as below:
– Paracetamol: it only works well when the first signs of a headache are recognized. However, it is a great idea not to overdose on it as the recommendation claimed in its instructions.
– Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications, such as diclofenac, ibuprofen, naproxen, help ease the pain immediately by controlling the enzymes causing pain. However, these drugs likely create stomach ulcers and gastritis. Moreover, you will depend on these medicines if you abuse them a lot.
– Anti-Anxiety Medications: helps control the stress and anxiety of the patient. Yet anti-anxiety medications are solely able to ease the headaches caused by stress temporarily. It is easy to be dependent on the medicines if you abuse them too much.
– Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medications, such as ibuprofen and naproxen, help control the pain caused by mild to moderate stress. Although they can be used without a prescription, you still need one from the doctor if you want to use it in high doses.
Which medicines bring the most effective result at easing headaches?
Depending on the type and the level of headache, the medicines are taken differently for easing migraines and headaches.
Medicines for Cluster headaches (episodic headaches):
Episodic headaches last in a short time with the main cause coming from vascular nerves. Its objects are mainly middle-aged men and those smoking. Episodic headaches happen after 1 or 3 hours of sleeping, which means patients tend to feel this kind of headache right after they wake up.
In this case, preventive medicines are more highly recommended than pain relievers by doctors. Some popular medicines help control episodic headaches as below:
– Triptans: Sumatriptan (Asuma, Imitrex, Sumavel) or Zolmitriptan (Zomig) bring the most effective result in easing headaches.
– Lidocaine: is one of the pain relief sprays
– Lithium: is chiefly used as the treatment of bipolar disorders. Still, in some cases, lithium might be used individually or combined with other medicines to control episodic headaches.
– Antiepileptic drugs: some antiepileptic drugs can control cluster headaches excellently.
– Capsaicin: can relieve the pain immediately in nasal spray. Capsaicin is proven to reduce the frequency of headaches by approximately 50% in Clinical Trials.
However, overdose of medications can make headaches appear more often, or make the pain even worse. That’s why if you plan to commit to any medications for headaches for a long time, it is best to ask the doctor for advice.
The most popular medicines for migraines
Migraines can be caused by the cluster appearance of vascular nerves in one side of the head, making it feel tight and burning, along with other symptoms like tinnitus, dizziness, nausea, fears of noises and lights. Statistically, ¾ patients with migraines are female.
There are 3 things to keep in mind when it comes to treatments for migraines. First of all, it is a must to avoid pain triggers, pain-relieving medications, and preventive medicines for migraines. Especially if it is a chronic migraine. It is a great idea to take pain relievers as soon as possible since the effectiveness of the drugs would be diminished when the pain became more severe. Medicines for easing migraines are:
Depakine: is used as the treatment for epilepsy, partial seizures, etc. In most cases, the prescription will include it as a support in treating migraines.
Antidepressants: most tricyclic antidepressants are used as the treatment for migraines. However, they also carry a lot of side effects, such as sleep disorder, decreased libido, and more.
Paracetamol is a painkiller and a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medicine (NSAID): Painkillers, such as paracetamol, aspirin, ibuprofen, relieve the pain effectively.
Notes when using medicines treating headaches, migraines
Some non-prescription drugs treating headaches, migraines can be addictive and abused. They not only lead to peptic ulcer disease, gastrointestinal bleeding, but drug resistance in your body. Furthermore, their common side effects are nausea, vomiting, digestive problems, upper abdominal pains, heartburn, stomachaches, gastrointestinal ulcers. Medicines for headaches, migraines can cut the pain temporarily, which means the pain will return with greater frequency and a higher level of severity. Therefore, when taking these medicines, keep in mind that:
– Do not exceed the recommended limit of the medicine.
– Read carefully the active ingredients contained in the product to avoid taking different medicine with the same active ingredients, which leads to overdose and side effects.
– Check with your doctor before using medicines containing aspirin, ibuprofen, naproxen, if you have bleeding or bleeding problems, asthma, or you have been through surgeries, liver or kidney dysfunction, etc.
– Prioritize using natural products that support the treatment of headaches, migraines are proven clinically, to ensure safety and high efficiency when using.